- » the true or actual state of a matter: He tried to find out the truth.
- » conformity with fact or reality; verity: the truth of a statement.
- » the state or character of being true.
- » an obvious or accepted fact; truism; platitude.
- » honesty; integrity; truthfulness.
- » moral excellence; goodness; righteousness.
- » conformity of one's life and conduct to moral and ethical principles; uprightness; rectitude.
- » a particular moral excellence. Compare cardinal virtues, natural virtue, theological virtue.
- » a good or admirable quality or property: the virtue of knowing one's weaknesses.
- » honesty, fairness, or integrity in one's beliefs and actions: a man of honor.
- » a source of credit or distinction: to be an honor to one's family.
- » high respect, as for worth, merit, or rank: to be held in honor.
- » such respect manifested: a memorial in honor of the dead.